Pages

Monday, October 19, 2009

The Eye of a Needle




We had the rich man/eye of a needle sermon yesterday. I struggle with the sermon because the verse doesn't seem to say it's hard for a rich man to go to heaven - it seems to say it's impossible.

I had heard from my Religion teacher in 11th Grade religion that the "eye of the needle" was a gate in Jerusalem. This apparently is not true. That even seems tougher on me. I had found a nice place where entry to heaven, while hard, was somewhat possible for a rich man.

It sounds like the verse is actually using Hebraic hyperbole to explain the difficulty. And, come to think of it, Christ did say a tree was sticking out of the guy's eye in the previous verse. I was okay with that. Shows my inconsistency.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails