Pages

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Open Call For Uncle Walter Stories

I reached out to Uncle Walter, asking for some time to interview him for the blog. He responded, "Sounds interesting, although I have no remote idea why anyone would want o hear me expound on anything..."

So, I'm asking all three of you readers to toss out an Uncle Walter story, so we can give him a warm welcome here. That would mean you'd either a) email it to me or b) comment -an art mastered so far by only Renee. Then again, maybe she's the only person reading this.

My Uncle Walter story...of many. I was going home with him to Slidell to spend the night or so with Brandon. Everyone was asleep but Uncle Walter and Aunt Pat in the front. We started talking, and he began to ask what I wanted for breakfast, admitting he knew nothing about cooking. He spent the entire trip to Slidell asking me about how to make pancakes - from how to crack eggs to what was to go into it - with Aunt Pat intermittently cautioning him and cackling.

It wasn't until the next day that I realized he actually knew how to cook, and that I wasn't going to have to fish eggshells out of the batter.

Another was when Renee or someone was doing a puzzle and he offered to help. He took pieces that didn't fit, and tried jamming them into the existing puzzle. then he took a glass and used it to shove pieces that didn't belong together. After some minutes of getting everyone riled up, he was done helping....

I'm sure you have more and better....

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:28 AM

    OK, two things come to mind right away: 1)While driving home from Slidell with Uncle Walter we were somewhere around where Penny used to live - St. Roch or something - he asked me if I wanted to drive. He actually pulled over and let me drive. I think I was still in grade school, and I drove his big old Impala or whatever it was. I could barely see over the dash. But it was so cool...and Kirin thought she drove first...
    2) Uncle Walter came back from Mexico or somewhere and brought me a silver/abalone charm. He did that twice. I never understood why he liked me...I kind of felt easy to overlook in those days...pretty cool.
    Oh, and no two people can have a pointless-word-association-game conversation better than Dad and Uncle Walter - they are the masters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:32 PM

    I was playing cards on the floor at Oma & Opa's, and Uncle Walter came to visit. He apparently decided I was done with my game, because he walked on my cards kicking them in a variety of directions. It almost looked like me after losing a board game with Dre...when I'd decide that if I was losing, then NO ONE gets to play. I think he felt guilty enough afterwards, because he ended up teaching me a version of Solitaire. I think Dre, Dad, and of course Uncle Walter, were overly entertained by the whole ordeal.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails