Pages

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Running Out The Weekend Clock





One thing we've noticed through our time at hospitals is their reluctance to do anything on weekends. We observe that on the weekend, staff tries to keep numbers the same and run out the clock until Monday, when decisions can be made by the weekday staff.

It's the reason Jen and I both were excited about a Wednesday scope, a Thursday scope...and then lost a ton of happiness with a Friday scope. which became a.....

...we don't know. No one knows. It's the weekend! Maybe Monday, but could be mid-week. We've received zero answers.

Why sweat it?

Firstly, they had to stick Zoe repeatedly to put an iv in for surgery. It's still in. Why is it in now? For surgery....whenever that is. Surgery in four days maybe. Or two.

Secondly, there's a bunch of kids who have as-close-as-they-can-get-to-normal lives who are suddenly in code-red living, where you may or may not see a parent or either parent once a day.

Thirdly, there's the whole marriage-in-exile aspect of this mess, which includes gems like me instant messaging my wife "What's wrong?"

Fourthly...this costs money right? As far as I can estimate, these super-nice and dedicated professionals are waiting for surgery, like me and zoe and Jen and our family. It's just that I'm paying those super-nice and dedicated professionals to wait.

Yesterday I was listening to the lead singer of Tenth Avenue North talk about the book of James and his commentary on Job. The lesson is: persevere and cling to the Lord, because this story is about His goodness.

10-11Take the old prophets as your mentors. They put up with anything, went through everything, and never once quit, all the time honoring God. What a gift life is to those who stay the course! You've heard, of course, of Job's staying power, and you know how God brought it all together for him at the end. That's because God cares, cares right down to the last detail. (from a paraphrase called "The Message")

Deep breath.

Look, I know I'm not Job. Not by a long shot. There's an anonymous commenter on this blog who writes gems like the one on the right. He/she is always there to remind me that I'm not Job.

But this sucks. Jen was telling me yesterday that for her, everything is a fight. We both include our work, struggles in and out of the house.

I will openly admit my jealousy of almost everyone's Facebook status today. Gotta find some staying power.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails