Pages

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Plot Twists

Isabel spent some time last night trying to decide which college to send her ACT scores to. She and Teia are taking the test in late October, and for the first time, Izzi had to consider a future beyond this weekend or next year. What did she want to do? Where did she want to go?

It's a feeling of supreme freedom that might even cause some of us to get jealous. It seems, for some of us, that those questions have already been asked and answered. We're on a path, and that's the path, I guess, we're going to stay on until...until we're done.

Somewhere beyond Izzi's freedom or our confidence in what's going to happen tomorrow is God, who may or may not agree with any of those emotions. The truth is God will do what He will do, and we will find peace when we understand that the time and the place for those things will be for His good and glory.

Take the story of Phil Eszterhas. He was one of Hollywood's highest paid screenwriters, writing great-looking filth like "Basic Instinct" and "Jade." If you wanted total nudity and murder and drug use and sex onscreen, but in a highly stylized and simmering way, Phil was your guy. But, the truth is, I repeat, God will do what he will do.

Izzi asked me if we were moving the other night. I told her I don't know. I don't know where, or when. I don't know how, exactly yet. But if God wants us to move, we will. And wherever that next place is will be as wonderful as this. There's just no evidence that God will be working things for evil for those who love Him. Quite the opposite, right?

I guess what I'm saying is the hardest lesson I've learned in Zoe and Izzi and through all of this is the idea that it's really not up to me at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails