Pages

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Meaning

"meaningless, meaningless, utterly meaningless..."

I try to fit all of my expectations, all of my hopes and desires into a frail little girl whose heart is slowly failing her. Why did I think she could hold all of those things?

Perhaps its the knowledge that God made her, no matter how frail or little. An innate knowledge that she - and we - were constructed for a purpose, for something more than a consistent pulse and to exhale CO2. There's something more.

The world we've constructed is pretty meaningless. It's a world where someone named Lindsay Lohan is well known. Where Don Rickles, it was breathlessly announced, finally won an Emmy.

But that's not to say that WE are meaningless. We, like Zoe, were built for more.

"Atheism turns out to be too simple. If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning..."

--Mere Christianity

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Zoe!

    I continue to pray for you, your family, Zoe, and all the doctors!

    Peace!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:14 AM

    Greg,

    I pray for you all and think of you daily!

    Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am praying for you, praying for strength, for peace, and for comfort.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails