Pages

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

thanks, but

So somebody read this here blog and wrote an overzealous email to Zoe's doctor, who is upset after reading the blog.

And responded by calling Jen and telling her she has been more than fair, and some other comments regarding the thoughts I've posted here.

Makes me want to stop writing here. But i'll keep on going. I have looked at what I wrote about Dr. Frommelt in my blog. I don't see a mischaracterization. I see me being impatient, and human. I thank you all for your care. I wish you would have let us know when you want to help.

Here's what I wrote:

1. Zoe visited the cardiologist today for an ultrasound. The ultrasound confirmed that her heart isn't working as well as it did. This regression was predicted before Zoe was born.

Dr. Frommelt also noticed her heart is thicker - an unexpected observation. They're not sure why the thickness has occurred.

Dr. Frommelt is going to present Zoe's case to her peers tomorrow and will let us know Friday what the next steps are.

2. Dr. Frommelt didn't call today. I don't like that one bit.

When she looked at Zoe's ultrasound this week, she said that Zoe's heart was thicker. Does that mean it's a thickened heart? It's a good question, given the grave characteristics of thickened heart.

3. Dr. Frommelt, renowned pediatric cardiologist, might have called today. we don't know because it was after Jen had called begging for news. Whoever it was didn't leave a message.

Maybe everything's great and she has no news. (denial) I just have an inkling that there is news, and I wish that I could somehow trade some of my wasted heartbeats to Zoe. (bargaining)


I guess you could get me for mentioning the Doc's name? I've mentioned other doctors.

Jen is deeply, deeply saddened. She says she's going up to her room with her daughter, whose heart is failing her, and whose heart doctor is upset with me.

5 comments:

  1. Hello... non-crazy blog lurker here. You don't know me, but I've been touched by your story. I don't normally comment on my lurked blogs, but I've now commented twice in one day on blogs I didn't think I ever would. Anyway, I don't think that what you said was rude.... at all. Seriously.. I said WAY worse. It's emotion, and it's your right to get it out anyway you see fit. Hopefully the doctor understands that you were just impatient, scared, and worried. I pray for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I just wanted to let you know that I don't think you should stop writing. My husband and I have a blog as well, and we mentioned a name of some one and they were upset for all of the wrong reasons. I have learned just to refer to people by their role, example Zoe's heart doctor, or the cardiologist. Keep it simple so over zealous readers do not take it upon them selves to fix a problem for you that they might not fully understand.

    I am deeply touched by your family's story, and I think you are helping others out there with your daily posts. Your struggle may not be the same, but the similarities in how it affects you is what unites others to you. Stay strong in your faith and ideals.

    I pray daily for your sweet little girl as well as your family. Thank you for touching my life in such a powerful way.

    Hopefully you can get in touch with the doctor and clear the air. Simple misunderstandings should not ruin such an important relationship.

    Much love and support,

    JMC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:07 PM

    I am also one who doesn't leave messages very often, but I have been following your blog for quite some time. I had the exact same thing happen to me after I made a comment about not being called with some results for our son. Our doctor was very hurt and he sent me an email and asked if I wanted to leave his practice. They look at it as having their practice "look bad", but they don't stop and see that maybe they need to work to make their practice improve on the problems. When it is your child, it is very hard waiting on results. You are human, don't feel bad.
    If they were in your shoes, they would be the very same way.
    You did nothing wrong!
    May God wrap each of you in his loving care tonight and give you peace to face each new day.
    Believing in HIM,
    DG

    ReplyDelete
  4. gosh! i think it is good that you have said names, if families are in similar situations then they can look up these DR.s who are gaining new knowlege for your Zoe (by taking the time to consult peers) and learning from Zoe who is beating the odds!

    i know it is hard to wait for results and i also know that Dr's are very busy, its one of those things. In an ideal world i am sure they would have all the answers at hand and all the time in the world to call.

    I am am sure the Dr will see that you were just sharing your thoughts. Get Zoe to flash a smile at them.

    :0) Barb Melb.Aust.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heaven forbid you should express an emotional response to disappointment and perhaps frustration at a promise not kept.

    Heaven forbid we should ever be unhappy with a doctor. I find it interesting that they can examine us with a fine-tooth comb, but we can never question *anything* they do or say, or don't do or say.

    I think (sorry - real flesh coming out here) this Dr. needs to get a little thicker skin, say, "I'm sorry I didn't call you on Friday like I said I would. I'll try harder next time.", and get over it.

    I guess all these can be wrapped up in the fact that we're human. Can we not all have a little mercy and grace for each other?

    You guys are doing great and are an inspiration to so many. Turning to the Lord and clinging to His life, that's the real Christian life - mistakes and humanness included.

    Love you all!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails