Pages

Sunday, March 30, 2008

8 Days Old

Zoe saw her eighth day come and she continues to grow and progress bit by bit.

Before I go further, I'll try and briefly touch on the hardest part of being Zoe's dad - talking to doctors. They're good people and very good professionals, but they ask some tough, practically impossible questions about how she will live and be treated.

So when Zoe's bilirubens went up, they asked us if we wanted to use phototherapy to reduce or eliminate them. Isn't that an obvious question?

In some doctors - and some parent's - eyes, it is a tough question. They'd ask: we know how this will end. Are you treating her so she'll get better? Or just treating her because that's your instinct?

Jen and I have slowly fashioned a philosophy that is essentially that we'll look at this event by event, but our instinct is to keep her alive until trisomy 18 takes her. Not bilirubens.

The people at our church have been so kind and shown so much love to us. More on that later....

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:21 AM

    God’s might to uphold me,
    God’s wisdom to guide me,
    God’s eye to look before me,
    God’s ear to hear me,
    God’s word to speak for me,
    God’s hand to guard me,
    God’s way to lie before me,
    God’s shield to protect me,
    God’s host to save me
    ******************************

    I had to repaste this because I love it. I will say this as a prayer and put Zoe, Jen and Greg names in place of "me"
    That is all I can do.!

    I dont know what to say. Some days I want to come and see Zoe and then other days it is really difficult bringing my emotions back.
    You may not hear from me much but know that I am there spiritually for you.
    Love Karen M xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:16 PM

    May God continue to grant you wisdom in these decisions. He alone knows the number of our days.
    I'm glad to hear that your church has reached out to you all.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails