Pages

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Why?

If you're anything like me, you're going to try and break this down and figure out why. Why?

Here's my answers:

About five years ago, my friend wept and told me how deeply saddened she was that we would never sing together again. I called her two days ago and asked her to play for Zoe's funeral. She said, "Greg, you know I'll do anything for you."

My friend at work told me months ago that she doesn't pray. She thinks. So she was thinking great thoughts for me. What a wonderful, caring friend! Today she writes, "Greg, I am praying that Zoe goes home quickly. I am praying that peace comes to all of you – maybe not quickly, but I pray that it comes.

Peace, hope, love. I pray that it is all yours, always. "

A few months ago, my former mother in law caught me in the hallway outside of diabetes class. I was walking away and she put her hand on my shoulder and said, "Greg..."

Now, I have to admit, my first instinct was to duck. And that's not to say that I didn't deserve whatever she was swinging at me. Just to say that that would be the appropriate instinct given what I've been in her life.

"Greg..." she said, "I just wanted to let you know that we're praying for Zoe."

Praying for Zoe?

Could a little tiny 4 pound girl change so many people?

20
Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? 21For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe... 25For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength.

And the kicker: 27But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.

There's a parable in the Bible about a shepherd who loses a sheep. So he leaves the flock and goes out searching for that missing sheep. The question might be - what kind of shepherd is this that leaves 99 sheep to find one? The answer is - a shepherd who knew the 99 were safe, but the one...the one wasn't.

Zoe is one of the 99. She's going to heaven. Her name has been written in the book. And Jesus is turning to us, the lost and confused and wandering. The selfish and bitter and pained and broken. The sinners - the multiple offenders, like me. And he's calling us home. And he's using his wisdom to show how foolish we were. He's choosing a four pound baby to show how secure his promises are. So we can abandon doubt and our superior thought processes and rest in simple truths and promises.

Maybe that's why.

It may be miles and miles before the journey's clear
there may be rivers, may be oceans of tears
but the very hand that shields your eyes from understanding
is the Hand that will be holding you for miles

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:27 PM

    Hey guys......Jen, Greg, and fam...I must say that you are a beautiful family who is well thought of and cared about. Please find comfort in this song by Jason Upton "You're Not Alone"

    http://www.jasonupton.net/com/

    It is one of the most annointed and comforting songs that I have ever heard. You can just listen to it over and over again and feel God's comfort in the midst of brokenness. Thanks for sharing your lives and experience through this blog. God comforts the broken hearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.

    You have many friends who are willing to help. Whatever it is....let others know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:23 PM

    Greg, Jen, and family: I simply want to share testimony to the truth of how God is using your beautiful Zoe. I left a meeting this evening in another companies' offices in Minneapolis. I shared I couldn't commit to a meeting because my schedule is uncertain. I then shared about Zoe. Another man I only recently met closed the meeting and then around the big conference table he led those attending in earnest prayer for you, for Zoe and "every circumstance around this little girl". Your Zoe - she really is amazing. We love you and little Zoe. Uncle Phil

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails