Pages

Friday, July 25, 2008

Blessed Are The Poor

In the midst of a huge animated and emotional discussion (about money) a few weeks ago, Jen told me that all she wanted was a little girl who would live. "How about that?," she asked, "that's all I want. And I'm not going to get it. I don't care about the rest."

Which brings me to today's devotion, which talks about how today, The Beatitudes seem to be "merely soothing and beautiful precepts for overly spiritual and seemingly useless people, but of very little practical use in the rigid, fast-paced workdays of the world in which we live."

Here's Luke's take on one verse: "And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples, and said, Blessed [be ye] poor: for yours is the kingdom of God."

Matthew adds the words "in spirit" after "poor."

So God is saying we're blessed if we're poor, and/or poor in spirit? What did he mean when he said "poor"? Here's the definition of the actual word used:

1) reduced to beggary, begging, asking alms

2) destitute of wealth, influence, position, honour

a) lowly, afflicted, destitute of the Christian virtues and eternal riches

b) helpless, powerless to accomplish an end

c) poor, needy

3) lacking in anything

a) as respects their spirit

Don't you just love definition 2b? That's me. I feel like I've been treading water for a long time. I'd swim in a direction if I knew where to swim. Powerless, destitute, tired.


1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:57 AM

    Greg,
    In todays world it is very hard to keep treading. You feel in your heart that you should swim in a certain direction finding out that the water is too deep. Sometimes I ask myself, 'When?'. When will this all stop? Will this ever stop? I do know and need to reminded that I am rich in CHRIST. As much as this in not an immeddiate physical and material satisfaction, I know that I get to stop treading soon. I love you and I am glad that I have someone else in the pool.
    m

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails