Pages

Monday, July 14, 2008

Instead Of A Show

All of this hard thinking about forgiveness and what I'm supposed to be has got this song in my head. I'm the guy who sinned so greatly people would walk on the other side of the street instead of walk on mine. I'm confident they said to themselves, "Look, Jesus wants me to forgive, but that's really just an ideal. And I'm only human..."

So, am I? What is alive in me? What do I believe? On March 25 I asked my kids that. Now I ask myself.

Instead of a Show
by Jon Foreman

(in which Mr. Foreman quotes a bunch of Scripture in a really cool way)

I hate all your show and pretense
the hypocrisy of your praise
the hypocrisy of your festivals
I hate all your show

Away with your noisy worship
Away with your noisy hymns
I stop up my ears when your
singing ‘em
I hate all your show

Instead let there be a flood
of justice
An endless procession of righteous
living, living
Instead let there be a flood
of justice
Instead of a show

your eyes are closed when you’re praying
you sing right along with the band
you shine up your shoes for services
but there’s blood on your hands

you turned your back on the homeless
and the ones that don’t fit in your plans
quit playing religion games
there’s blood on your hands

Ah! let’s argue this out
if your sins are blood red
let’s argue this out
you’ll be white as the clouds
let’s argue this out
quit fooling around

give love to the ones who can’t love at all
give hope to the ones who got no hope at all
stand up for the ones who can’t stand up at all
instead of a show
I hate all your show

2 comments:

  1. hey greg.. i just wanted to say.. even though what my family is going through right now is not to the magnitude of the stress and heartache you all are going through.. i just wanted to let you know.. when I am down.. asking why.. i come and read.. and you speak for me.. so thanks for that... really trully thank you!! thats all i have for now i just needed to thank you.. bc i am having one of the "why" moments.. and i come here.. and you totally take how I am feeling and put it in words that i cannot...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:13 AM

    I just wanted to share one of my favorite reminders when I find myself asking "why":

    Just Think,
    you're here not by chance, but by God's choosing.
    His hand formed you and made you the person you are.
    He compares you to no one else -
    You are one of a kind.
    You lack nothing that his grace can't give you.
    He has allowed you to be here at this time in history to fulfill His special purpose for this generation.
    - Roy Lessin

    No matter how long our time on earth is, He has a purpose for us. I hope you can find comfort in this assurance.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails