Pages

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Recap

The day before the Robbie Seay concert, I had a chance to talk to Nick, who is on vacation out of town. He wondered if anyone had mentioned that Robbie intended on coming over to the house to pray and worship?

Um... no.

I told Nick I had to get off the phone. And call Jen. Now.

I called Jen, who was in the process of heading to voice lessons that night. She also had to pick up Teia from her job, and wouldn't be returning until almost 11 PM. The panic was setting in.

After work, I was driving to Brookfield Lutheran to talk to our contact there. On the way, RSB finally got back to us to officially confirm that yes, Josh can open and do a 30-45 minute set, among other critical details. They asked for some food backstage, and I offered to cook it.

We shared what we had just learned with Brookfield and then I called Josh to let him know the set was longer than we had thought.

It also made me think that maybe Jen and I would sing something at the end of Josh's set. I let Josh know, and he was enthused because it helped bridge between his music and Robbie's music.

The big day came, and I got up early to straighten some things up, then set about making some Poor Man's Jambalaya and Yeast Bread. Jen and I both were pretty stressed from some other turmoil and I kept checking Jen's face - a pretty somber one - and wondering if we really should sing. It might just be too much.

We found out pretty rapidly that Robbie's timing was bad from Chicago to Brookfield, and he wouldn't be visiting. So we packed up the food and headed down. The RSB was performing a sound check and we all sat and listened intently as they set each wedge monitor and each instrument to specifications. I heard Robbie soundchecking "The Call," a song I don't have.

Josh came up and we ran into an adjoining room to throw together what we would do. After Robbie was done checking, we jumped onstage for our mike check. Josh really wanted Jen to do "I Am" by Nichole Nordemann, but she balked at the lyrics...we all didn't want a music stand up there. We settled on "Breathe." I was going to do "Amazing Grace/My Chains Are Gone."

Andy showed up. Andy had emailed me and asked, since he is a photographer and loves taking concert pictures, if he could take pictures. I agreed. I asked him when he came how he had found out about the concert. He said Greg Weisbberger or something. Someone I never heard of. I guess Greg was sending out mass emails promoting the concert.

Michael, Avicom's video virtuoso showed and was getting set, and he told me his assistant Kate was coming (although, sadly, sans her Bling Ring). Bill from Avicom was there, and then I began to see all the Avicom volunteers along with the Deirdre volunteers.

We went back and ate the jambalaya with the RSB. Kellen was already in there, just talking and listening. These guys had the least pretense, the kindest hearts and were all great listeners. The kids were euphoric, ecstatic. Most of the band didn't mind the kick in the jambalaya. We talked about Trisomy and the family and things. Just talking with a bunch of brothers.

At almost 7 we went out. I was going to introduce Josh. I introduced the Brookfield Lutheran guy to lead us in prayer...and then I introduced Josh. Who subsequently blew the roof off the place.

Josh is legitimately the most gifted musician I'll ever know. He first performed "Angel," which he recorded for Rhodium Records, and then he did something that he taught himself the day before - "The Call" from the Chronicles of Narnia Soundrack. Then he did an improvised mishmash of two praise songs...just watching him poring over the keyboard, letting the music come to him was incredible. He closed up with "You Lift Me Up" and then brought Jen and I onstage.

We all sang "I Could Sing of Your Love," and then I sang "Amazing Grace/My Chains Are Gone," and then Jen closed it with "Breathe." She talked about how much the song's meaning had changed since Zoe. It was an incredible introduction and then Jen sang...it's been a long time since I've heard her do that one. Probably 6 or 7 years. It was incredible.

After an intermission, Robbie came out. It was an incredible show. He opened with "Eternal God" from his earlier album. I was hoping for that song...my faves off that album were "Better Days," which I used to sing to Zoe while we were in the hospital; "Eternal God" and "Breathing Air Again," which I love. We are like blades of grass.

I'll get the whole set list up for you - I have Robbie's copy - but everything was awesome. Robbie was brilliant and humble and personal. Taylor, the lead guitarist, was awesome...and the band just sounded great. Even my music snob friends agreed. Two cool surprises were the song "There Is A Call," which I've never heard, and Robbie performing an acoustic version of David Crowder's "Never Let Go." Magic.

Zoe didn't make it through the whole concert, but it wasn't the music. I could see her eyes searching for its source. Jen and I both believe she liked the music. She just got fussy.

And then, the aftershow. People milling around, no one wanting to leave and lose the glow. Robbie and the band talking and sharing to the point that you had to really look for them, because it wasn't like people were lined up, it was more like talk circles of friends after church.

I told you everyone has a Robbie story,and I cut out a ton of them. Sorry...but it was a wonderful, blessed night.

The next morning, my little sister Martina called into the morning radio show in Green Bay where Robbie was being interviewed. She thanked him for coming. Robbie went on and on about the family, the night, Zoe and Jen. He called us friends. We are.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:35 PM

    Thank you for the recap. This is what I was waiting for. I feel that I was there. Greg, thank you for sharing your talented writings with me. You are so blessed! And Robbie if by any chance you are still reading the blog, THANKS! A thanks that can not be shared in words, but in hugs, stories and prayers. I am confident my family gave you all!(and then some)
    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:34 PM

    Here's what I got to be a part of: Zoe DID get restless during the show...even before RSB was on, she was out in the hallway, safe in the arms of the arms of her aunties. she calmed down a bit while Greg and Jen were singing.Then I had to decide whether to stand closer to let the baby who is not supposed to be able to hear listen to her mother's beautiful voice or stay a little further away so as not to distract Jen. Hmmm.

    Then Robbie Seay Band...after drinking enough of her formula to calm her down, Zoe slept. She got to be held by myself, but more importantly, by Dan and Ted. As I told Robbie, Zoe woke up when they stopped playing. I think she can hear a little, what do y'all think?

    Deirdre

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:04 PM

    That sounds like an amazing night. wish I could of made it. Hope to see some more pictures and hear some of the music. Because of you I have purchased 2 RSB CDs.

    God Bless Zoe!!

    Erika, RN

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails