Pages

Saturday, May 31, 2008

10 Weeks

Jen tried playing with Zoe a little yesterday, which elicited some crabbiness and a few big smiles.

Where are we going? Where is this 10 week old developmentally? What can she see? What is she thinking? Trisomy 18 babies are prone to hearing and vision problems. We're going to revise the hospital's grave diagnosis of no hearing. Zoe can hear. Ethan cut his knee hurting today and was wailing the wail of the four year old with a skin wound. Zoe woke up.

There are stories of Trisomy18 babies making it past the sixth month. There aren't similar stories about babies with tetralogy of fallot - Zoe's heart condition - making it very long. The cardiologist had told us before Zoe's birth that in studies done on 3rd World countries of children who had tetralogy of fallot, none had survived past the 2nd or third year.

Ever since we ordered the oxygen machine, it has sat in the corner, mostly unused. Zoe hates it. It might have been aversion therapy for her, because as long as its been here, her breathing has been better.

Miracle baby? What is a miracle? Today's miracle was that in the above story, where Ethan was wailing, Zoe was in a bouncy seat. That's right, Jen got to put her down for a few minutes. Maybe Zoe is getting old enough to allow her mom a few minutes of movement without holding her? Maybe.

At ten weeks, we can turn our eyes and thoughts to tonight's meal and Kellen's birthday. A lawnmower grinds a welcome sound and smell into the morning air. Puffy clouds flit across the sky and boats rocket and float outside my back window. Elise is pushing Ethan in a doll baby stroller. He has a tube in his mouth that he says is to help him breathing. I guess our homelife isn't all that normal. But it never was.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Guys,

    I have read this post at least 3 different times now and could not find words to put to the feelings in my heart. I am going to try now. You asked what is a miracle and then explained how Zoe heard Ethan's cry while she was not being held. I believe the miracle comes each day Zoe is with you and shows you her stuff that makes her not a statistic on a chart of T-18 babies. I have followed many babies with this diagnosis, and each one is uniquely different, no two alike. God is teaching you such extraordinary things about life through her, and I learn from you too. Zoe is a baby with a condition but she is first, a baby and a gift from God. They do not come with instruction manuals, not one baby does. This is His design.
    I do not say all of this to make light of the 24 hour care this little baby requires of you day in and day out. I see her as a piece of heaven right here on earth, fragile and placed in the most trusted arms of parents that God knew He could trust with her. I admire everything you do for her. And I pray for strength for you in each new day that she thrives with you. And normal? Is there really any such thing as this? Ethan having a tube in his mouth to help his breathing is so amazingly normal to me for what he knows in his home. It is so cute to me and touches my heart with laughter. I think you have an amazing family and you are doing a great job of getting through each day with Gods grace. You are living the lives that He has given you. Your story is a beautiful one with difficulty at this time, but so beautiful and full of life. Thank you so much for sharing it with followers like me.

    Love, Laurie in Ca.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome to hear! Truly Awesome...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:55 PM

    Greg, Zoe's eyes might be grey/blue like yours, but it sounds like she might have a touch of our Father's eyes, too...

    This old Amy Grant song came to my heart when I read your "big eyes" post. It seems about right, I think.

    I may not be every mother's dream for her little girl,
    And my face may not grace the mind of everyone in the world.
    But that's all right, as long as I can have one wish I pray:
    When people look inside my life, I want to hear them say,

    She's got her father's eyes,
    Her father's eyes;
    Eyes that find the good in things,
    When good is not around;
    Eyes that find the source of help,
    When help just can't be found;
    Eyes full of compassion,
    Seeing every pain;
    Knowing what you're going through
    And feeling it the same.
    Just like my father's eyes,
    My father's eyes,
    My father's eyes,
    Just like my father's eyes.

    And on that day when we will pay for all the deeds we have done,
    Good and bad they'll all be had to see by everyone.
    And when you're called to stand and tell just what you saw in me,
    More than anything I know, I want your words to be,

    She had her father's eyes,
    Her father's eyes;
    Eyes that found the good in things,
    When good was not around;
    Eyes that found the source of help,
    When help would not be found;
    Eyes full of compassion,
    Seeing every pain;
    Knowing what you're going through,
    And feeling it the same.
    Just like my father's eyes,
    My father's eyes,
    My father's eyes,
    Just like my father's eyes.
    My father's eyes,
    My father's eyes,
    Just like my father's eyes.

    Praise God for Zoe.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails