Pages

Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Boys




Ethan walks up to me yesterday. He's got a blue shirt with a "Superman" logo on it. He's got a long sleeve shirt's sleeves tucked into the collar of his shirt. He's got a pair of white socks on his hands. He has a pair of white socks on his feet.

He hands me a belt. "Can you put this on me?," he asks, "Superheroes wear belts."

Amidst this tragedy are the comedic characters - Ethan and Aidan, who everyone calls "The Boys."

In one room, you'll find Jen, cooing to Zoe. In the other, you'll find the boys, jumping from one bed to the other until they break the slats holding the mattresses up.

In one room, in the early morning, you'll find two exhausted parents trying to catch a few hours of sleep. In the other, you'll hear the crunching of an apple. And potato chips. Aidan woke up. He was hungry, so he went foraging for food.

I one room, you'll see Jen trying to feed a fussy baby. In the adjoining bathroom, you'll hear water running. "Ethan!," Jen yells, "what are you doing?"

Ethan is kneeling on the bathroom counter with a handful of hair gel. His hair is dripping wet. "I'm doing my hair like Troy Bolton!," he offers.

Yesterday our dear friend Nancy came by to find the two boys eating popcorn from a big bowl. They decided they needed utensils to eat the popcorn. Ethan had a huge wooden cooking spoon. Aidan went with the wisk.

I am grateful for the boys. There's another story you'll hear sometime about the boys, and how they came along amidst so much trial and tension. But it's so obvious why they're here.

"Jesus," Ethan likes to say with stern instruction, "died on the cross. And now He lives in heaven and in our hearts."

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:10 AM

    Hooray for the boys!!!

    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny how all little boys seem to love superheros.

    My prayers go out to Zoe and your family.

    By the way, I'm practically a neighbor. We live in Franksville (which is in Racine Co.).
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:35 AM

    Its nice when you can sit back and see the blessings God has given. Your "boys" are blessings too. To lift your spirits and remind you (though I am sure you have not forgotten) that you you are blessed. To bring a smile to your face in hardest of times. Look into the face of each of your children, the big kids, the blondies, the boys and your precious lil Zoe, they are everyday reminders of Gods love for you. God hears our prayers as Zoe is two months old today, 2 months of breathing and fighting, 2 months of trials and blessings, 2 months of tears, heartache and overwhelming joy. I am so happy that I found this blog and began to read it. Each day I am amazed and blessed. I continue to pray for you, for Jen and all your children, may God shine a light on you may happiness surround you each day and love, hope and faith help you to overcome.

    love,
    ML

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:16 PM

    I have "the boys" too! (3 of them!)
    Ahh...life just can't be all prim and proper with boys in the house. If it ain't the neighbors reporting them for shooting BB guns in the yard or them being slack with opening the front door and dogs running away, it's something else. My boys have taught me that it's OK to have a mess while encouraging their creativity. They have taught me that dirt isn't all that bad and that cleanliness isn't godliness. They keep me entertained and I decided long ago, "If I cannot beat them, join 'em!"

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails