Pages

Friday, May 23, 2008

What To Trust

Just got back from my friend Mipps' 40th birthday party and talked to some of you out there who read this. And I listened to you tell me almost ridiculous comments about the things I'm writing. Thank you.

Zoe has blessed me - for this moment - with an ability to see what you can trust. You can't trust the promise of new life. You can't trust that when you have a baby, she'll walk. Ask Steven Curtis - you can't trust that you'll see her go to prom. You can't trust your instincts.

Ask them in Myanmar or China what they can trust. You can't trust the earth. You can't trust the foundations of your home.

Ask my father - or Zoe - or Mipps, on his 40th birthday. You can't trust your body.

You can't trust young love or true love or best friends. Bosses fail you. The best marriage vows unwind.

You can only trust in ever faithful, ever true Jesus. Who loved us while we were still sinners. Who loves you today.

Happy Is A Yuppie Word
by Switchfoot


everyone dies
everyone loves a fight
nothing is sound
nothing is right side right
the evening comes
when the sun goes down in red
nothing is new
when will all the fighting end?
when will all the fighting end?

happy is a yuppie word
nothing in the world could fail me now
as empty as an argument
running down the life that won't cash out...cash out

everything fails
everything'll run its course
a time and a place
[for all of this] nothing war
everything [buys]
[cause] everything's got a price
nothing is new
when will all us failures rise
when will all the failures rise, rise

happy is a yuppie word
nothing in the world can fail me now
as empty as an argument
running down a life that won't cash out
everything is meaningless
i want more than simple cash can buy
happy is a yuppie word, word

i'm looking for an orphanage
i'm looking for a bridge i can't burn down
i don't believe in emptiness
i'm looking for the kingdom coming down
everything is meaningless
i want more than simple cash can buy
everything is meaningless
happy is a yuppie word

nothing is sound!

happy is a yuppie word
happy is a yuppie word
nothing in the world can fail me now
happy is a yuppie word, word.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:46 AM

    Thanks for being Mipps' lifelong friend. I know that he trusts you. I'm glad you got to go to his party. It's interesting what you've written this morning to me because I have SO much trouble trusting. It's a constant struggle in my life so I appreciate your words and your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "You can only trust in ever faithful, ever true Jesus. Who loved us while we were still sinners. Who loves you today."

    Amen!

    Was great to see you and Jen last night.

    Still praying. Still trusting Him. Moment by moment . . .

    Love Gina (& T)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read your blog often, and I'm not one who comments much, but I've never found any of your comments ridiculous. It's actually the opposite....

    I had to learn the message of your post the hard way-I had to have something tangible to invest my trust in-I needed tangible because I was too young to know how to trust in anything intangible, and most of my life my trust was destroyed in the tangible I tried/needed to trust, which made it even more difficult for me to trust in something I thought was intangible. I didn't know what to trust. Fear/anxiety consumed me for a very long time, and it still tries. I felt so alone and afraid. I was terrified to trust in anything.

    It's been a slow struggle for me, but little by little my trust in what is the tangible love, safety, and security that Jesus so awesomely provides has grown.

    Many of the examples in your post and related world events I have had fear/anxiety about because I have known what you write is so true.

    Thanks for your well said post/validation because it has made my trust in Him grow even more.

    I don't know how many children you have, but Zoe and any other children you may have are so blessed to have you as parents.

    I appreciate your witness to what is steadfast and true.

    Abundant Blessings to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails